Offering Hep C treatment
Hepatitis C Treatment FACT SHEET
- Contact the OATC location nearest to you (www.oatc.ca has all the contact information listed) or walk-in during regular business hours
- Required to have a valid health card.
- Inform the staff in the clinics that you are here for information about Hepatitis C Treatment.
Overview of the treatment:
- All clients on the OATC program or not will be tested for Hepatitis C
- If they are Hepatitis C positive, they MUST be tested for the type of Hepatitis C and the amount of Virus (Genotype/Viral Load):
There are two possible results – the bloodwork will come back with both GT and a Viral Load OR the Viral Load will be “undetected” (meaning that it is either too early to detect, or their body has cleared the virus themselves).
TIP: Should re-test at 6 months if the results are “undetected”
- If an active virus is present we need to do more bloodwork to find out how much fibrosis is in the liver.
Currently in our clinics we are testing via a blood test (there is also a Fibroscan which can be used (similar to an ultrasound, but test is not covered by OHIP) – if the bloodwork comes back with a Fibroscore of 2 or higher – both private and public insurance is apt to cover all the treatment costs.
- 4If F2 or higher OATC will make a referral for an ultra sound.
- OATC will then send documentation requesting approval for medication coverage.
- After approval is received by OATC, the client will then start on the treatment.
Currently at OATC we are working with 2 different Pharmaceutical companies.
- Gilead – Hepatitis C products – Sovaldi / Harvoni
- AbbVie – Hepatitis C product – Holkira Pak
Depending on the type of Hepatitis C, previous treatment, and level of cirrhosis will dictate the length of treatment – current treatment can run as little as 8 weeks and as long as 24 weeks.
Please contact your local OATC for further details.